Cistus (Rock Rose) Essential Oil – A Natural Wound Healer
Cistus essential oil, also known as rock rose essential oil, has been used since ancient times for its ability to help heal wounds. Nowadays, it is widely used in aromatherapy to treat wounds, regulate acne-prone and oily skin, treat respiratory conditions, and more. Although it may not be one of the most well-known essential oils, its healing properties are powerful and its calming properties are a great aid to meditation.
Country of origin: Spain
Method of Extraction: Cistus essential oil is extracted from the leaves and flowers through the process of steam distillation.
Scent Description: Its peppery, earthy, and somewhat spicy aroma lends a lovely middle note to blends, especially when paired with other resinous essential oils like vetiver, frankincense, and myrrh.
Blends Well With: Angelica root, cedarwood, coriander, chamomiles, clary sage, cypress, lavender, frankincense, juniper berry, pine, rose, lemon and other citrus oils, neroli, petitgrain, sandalwood, patchouli, and vetiver essential oils.
Therapeutic Properties & Uses:
- Antiseptic, anti-microbial, astringent, stimulates/increases menstrual flow (emmenagogue), expectorant, promotes calm/induces sleep (sedative), heals wounds (vulnerary).
- Treats Wounds, Heals Skin Conditions, Reduces Pain and Inflammation, Alleviates Respiratory Symptoms, Aids in Meditation.
- Antiseptic, anti-microbial, astringent, emmenagogue, expectorant, sedative vulnerary. [Salvatore Battaglia, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, Second Edition (Australia: The Perfect Potion, 2003), 252.]
- Used as a fixative in natural perfumery and can act as a substitute for ambergris. [Jeanne Rose, 375 Essential Oils and Hydrosols (Berkeley, CA: Frog, Ltd, 1999), 98.]
ANTI-AGING – Cistus oil is famous for its anti-aging properties. It tightens the skin, prevents the appearance of wrinkles and effectively treats scar tissues to give you bright and glowing skin.
TREATS SKIN DISEASES – An age-old remedy to treat skin disorders and heal skin, cistus oil is very effective in healing eczema, psoriasis and dry skin. Additionally, it moisturizes the skin to keep it supple and helps quicken the process of wound healing.
Shelf Life: 4-5 years
- Essential oils are for aromatherapy and external use only.
- Never apply essential oils in its pure and concentrated forms directly onto the skin. Mix it with a carrier oil first.
- Be sure to do a skin patch test before applying it topically onto the desired area to ensure that there are no allergic or sensitive reactions.
- If you are pregnant, be sure to check with your doctor first before using essential oils.
- This essential oil is also compatible for use in perfumery, soap- and candle-making, and all other aromatherapy needs.
- Available in 100% PURE ESSENTIAL OILS, and in a WATER-SOLUBLE blend.
- PURE ESSENTIAL OILS are highly concentrated plant-based natural oils and must be diluted with water when used in oil burners and diffusers. Dilute first with a carrier oil if used topically. CLICK HERE FOR CARRIERS OILS >>
- WATER-SOLUBLE ESSENTIAL OILS are blends of pure essential oils and natural emulsifiers and compounds, that make them soluble in water, and designed for diffusing. Note: You may have to use more drops to reach the same level of scent-throw as pure oils. Adjust the amount of drops accordingly to your preferred strength.
- Diffusing essential oils is best in air-conditioned spaces.
Wherever the journey takes you…